Sunday, November 22, 2009

Survey Reflections

In comparison to the majority of my colleagues, I understand and use technology in a variety of settings. I continually use more of the mainstream components in my daily work, but have had experience with specific technology applications needed for specific tasks. I scored lowest on problem-solving with technology tools. I do not use a lot of the presentation components required for understanding by the state simply because I do not need to organize multimedia presentations for the different stakeholders involved with my campus.
I focus on technology in the classroom that incorporates the material needed for understanding and I typically do all the technology integration. Very little technology is used by the students, our school is not designed to ensure that all classrooms are wired and every student has appropriate access to the technology. Also, not all students have equitable access to Tech Apps and BCIS. Even at the junior high level, these courses should be woven into the requirements needed for promotion. If we expect that by 2020 all students will be technologically literate and have access to various types of technology, they need to learn the basics early and the state needs to set high expectations to ensure that students understand the application of technology in their daily lives.
I do have one issue with the TEKS survey, the questionnaire was designed in technical language. If students (and teachers) are not taught that technical language, then how are they expected to understand exactly what the survey is asking and what they are capable of doing with technology in the classroom? The SEDTA survey, while it was long, was thorough enough for me to understand how technology should be incorporated at my campus and the throughout the district. The majority of my students are technically illiterate and do not have access to technology. The staff and the different departments within the school use technology on a very limited basis. My campus definitely needs to connect with and get updated on the new trends to be competitive and produce students who will be competitive in the digital age.


No comments:

Post a Comment